[ここから本文内容]

外国語(foreign language)

Ono city Travel guide 2014
Travel guide Cover
Ono City Travel guide 2014(click here)

BLOG
Enjoy things Japan
 

History of Ono City

Stone implements and earthenware that were unearthed in the remains of Ukonjiro show that the dawn of Ono City occurred in the middle of the Jomon period.
From the end of the Nara period to the beginning of the Heian period, the names Oyamago (Oyama), Onogo (Ono), Kaminogo (Kamisho), and Shimonogo (Shimosho) can be read on wooden plates that were unearthed from the ruin of Heijo-kyo.
From the middle of the Heian period, manors of temples of central Japan were located at Ushigahara and Nakabasami in the Ono basin. Around the end of the Heian period, manors were gradually oppressed because of the rise of samurais, and all manors were completely ruined in the Muromachi period. Instead, samurai leaders such as Shiba and Asakura came to rule the local areas. In the Kamakura period, after the death of Dogen who was the founder of Sotoshu Eiheiji Temple, Jakuen left Eiheiji Temple and opened Sotoshu Hokyoji Temple.
After the extinction of the Asakura family in 1573, a war occurred and the Ikko people came to control this area for a while. The war was subjugated by Nobunaga Oda, and Nagachika Kanamori, commander of Oda, came to rule most of Ono. Nagachika built Echizen Ono Castle at Kameyama, and built the castle town copying Kyoto. This is the origin of the present Ono City. Ono has been prosperous as a center of Okuetsu region for these 430 years.
After Nagachika, Oda, Tsuchiya, Oguri, and Matsudaira controlled this region. In 1682, Toshifusa Doi came to control Ono. Ono was divided into Katsuyama, Gujo, Sabae, Fukui, and the part for the government in a complicated way, and this condition continued for about 150 years until the Meiji reformation.
In 1871, the "han" organization was abolished and "prefecture" organization came to be used. In 1889, the town and village organization was enforced. Ono was separated into 1 town and 7 villages (Ono, Shimosho, Inuikawa, Oyama, Kamisho, Tomita, Sakadani, Goka).
Shomosho Village was changed to a town in November 1951. In July 1, 1954, 2 towns and 6 villages were merged into Ono City.
Nishitani Village was merged in July 1, 1970. Izumi Village was merged in November 7,2005. The number of households at present is 11,320 and the population is 37,843 (National census in 2005).

Geography

Ono is located in the east of Fukui Prefecture. To the northeast is Ishikawa Prefecture. To the east and to the south is Gifu Prefecture. To the west is Fukui Prefecture and Imadate District. To the north is Katsuyama City.
The basin is surrounded by mountains.The most famouse and beatiful mountain is Mt.Arashima(1523m).
The source of the Kuzuryu River is located at the border with Gifu Prefecture. Mana River, Kiyotaki River, Akane River, and Kuzuryu River pass thorough the Ono basin from the south to the north. These rivers create the beautiful ridges of Kuzuryu and Mana, and supply water to 4,000 hectares of fields.

Oshouzu

The Oshouzu has a long history. When Nagachika Kanamori, commander of Nobunaga Oda built a castle, a square pool was made to be the source of water for filling the trench. This was selected as one of 100 beautiful waters nominated by the Ministry of Environment in 1985. The water is clean and delicious. It is cold in summer and warm in winter. It is used in people's daily lives as "water of life".
Housewives gather to wash clothes and dishes in the morning and evening. Children come to play here. It is used for living as well as the center of the regional community. Oshouzu is divided according to use; for drinking, cooking, and washing clothes. There is no other strict rule, and people around here are in charge of cleaning of Oshouzu. Even people outside of this region can use the water. The abundant water in this town has continued to spring out, supported by the generous hearts of people protecting Oshyouzu.
Oshouzu supports the lives of citizens. We can not talk about the life of Ono without Oshouzu.

Itoyo (Three-spined stickleback), evidence of clean water

Itoyo moves back and forth between the sea and land around 1,000,000 years ago, but it could not return to the sea after changes in the earth's crust. Itoyo needs fresh, clean (natural spring) water to live.
At present, Itoyo is regarded to be a very rare fish. There are only three places in Japan where Itoyo can live now. One of the three is Ongan Shimizu in Ono.
Ono has clean and abundant groundwater whose temperature is constant all year round, and many Itoyo lived here from ancient times. Due to the improvement of living standards, the ground level has lowered and it has become more difficult for Itoyo to live here. Hongan Shimizu, which has supported the lives of Ono citizens in the same way as Oshimizu, was specified as a national monument as a "habitat of Itoyo", and Ono citizens are working hard to protect Itoyo and water resources. Ono, with abundant and beautiful water, is active in protecting the small life of the valuable Itoyo.

このページのお問い合わせ先

大野市
住所:〒912-8666 福井県大野市天神町1-1
電話番号:0779-66-1111
FAX番号:0779-65-8371
メール:yamabiko@city.fukui-ono.lg.jp
2008年7月11日

アンケート

この内容はお役に立ちましたか?

関連リンク